Welcome to Episode 1 of Season 7 of The PCOS Revolution Podcast:
How Toxins Impact PCOS With Sophia Ruan Gushee
Do you know what’s in the products you’re using? Have you ever considered how many toxins linger in your everyday household items? Over 85,000 chemicals have been introduced into American commerce since World War II and less than one percent have been studied for safety. These products show up in our homes every day. During this episode we’ll be chatting about toxins and their impact, for everyone and specifically for those with PCOS.
This week on PCOS Revolution Podcast, I am having a conversation with Sophia Ruan Gushee. Sophia is a sought-after expert for panels, podcasts, radio shows and other mediums. Sophia has been featured on the most popular platforms, including the Dr. Oz Show, HEALTH magazine, Family magazine, MindBodyGreen, Today.com, and Well+Good.
Additionally, Sophia hosts her own podcast, Practical Nontoxic Living. She has online detox workshops, including Home Detox 101 and EMF Detox. Overall Sophia aims to simplify nontoxic living for you.
When Sophia became a mother, she started paying more attention to the chemicals in household products. She has done thorough research on toxins and specifically spent eight years researching and writing her book.
One of the biggest hurdles is that people are slow to take action. For example, smoking research had been around for decades but it took the public a long time to accept the science. It’s hard to change. It’s hard to believe something so popular can be so harmful.
During this episode Sophia will share 10 high impact changes you can make. Small changes like washing your hands before you eat can have a high impact. You’d be surprised how many people don’t wash their hands before eating, especially kids.
Heavy metals are found in home dust. One source is the bottom of shoes. The bottoms of shoes can track in pesticides and heavy metals. Having a no shoes inside at home is another small change you can make. Sophia will also discuss minimizing plastics and canned foods, BPA exposure, eating whole foods, avoiding fragrances and utilizing essential oils.
- What made Sophia want to focus on this topic ([1:16])
- Research on BPA and potential affects ([4:14])
- Impacts on future generations ([6:32])
- Why hasn’t more been done? ([8:02])
- Easiest place to start ([10:32])
- Tips to detox your home ([12:05])
- Essential oils and what to look for ([21:13])
- Advice for changing environment ([25:52])
- Fragrance elimination diet ([27:31])
- Environmental pollution ([28:29])
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Learn more about Sophia Ruan Gushee here
- Read Sophia’s book A to Z of D-Toxing: The Ultimate Guide to Reducing Our Toxic Exposures
- Follow Sophia on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Medium
Help Us Spread The Word!
If this episode has taught you just one thing, I would love if you could head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review. Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast — and it’s easy! Thank you so much.
Ways to Subscribe to the PCOS Revolution Podcast:
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via Android
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- PCOS Revolution Podcast is also on TuneIn
- Take a listen on Google Podcasts
Thanks for listening!
To learn more about the brand new PCOS Revolution Academy, visit www.thepcosrevolution.com!
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast is intended for general audience only and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace professional medical advice.